Auditions & Scholarships
To enroll in any music major, including music therapy, you must be admitted to the university and the music therapy program. The music therapy program requires an audition. Audition materials must be uploaded by March 1.
Students who audition by early March for admission are automatically considered for music therapy scholarships. Students are also eligible for university-wide scholarships. See www.scholarships.ua.edu for more information.
Music Therapy Audition Requirements for Spring 2024 (Enrollment for Fall 2024)
Students majoring in music therapy must complete requirements related to musical and written skills specific to music therapy coursework.
Students who are interested should complete the School of Music online application form. Once that form has been completed, Dr. Cevasco-Trotter will provide a specialized music therapy Box account for each student so that videos and written materials, listed below, may be submitted.
Please upload videos for the following three items into your Box folder by March 1:
- Primary Instrument Requirement:
- Perform an unaccompanied 3-5 minute solo selection for your primary instrument or voice that exhibits musical and technical difficulty appropriate to college music study. For singers, the piece should demonstrate the potential understanding of the classical vocal style.
- Singing Requirement:
- Please sing Happy Birthday and one other song of choice (e.g., folk song, hymn, popular song). You can accompany yourself or sing without accompaniment; NO pre-recorded accompaniment tracks.
- Please provide the following information (in 3 minutes or less):
- Introduce yourself
- Why do you want to major in it?
- What clinical population are you interested in serving?
Also upload the following items:
- Application form for Music Therapy
- Essay Requirement to be uploaded into Box:
- Please include your CWID with your full name at the top of the page.
- Please answer the following questions, in 1-2 pages:
- What is music therapy?
- Why are you interested in The University of Alabama?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your academic weaknesses and how do you address them?
Materials will be reviewed after March 1st. You will be notified no later than March 31st about your admission status.